Monday 19 March 2012

Life's Hurricanes

Why was this written many years ago? The reason is forgotten now!

However, people still experience similar ‘hurricanes’ in their lives. The questions raised are similar in nature. May the answers be found from the same source – God’s Word and His grace which never lets us go.
We need to remember Lamentations 3:21-25 (NIV) :

Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope:
Because of the LORD’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.
I say to myself, “The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.”
The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him;


From out of nowhere it came. Sweeping across my life with the ferocity of a hurricane, it caused widespread devastation. Emotional wreckage lies strewn amidst the physical pain. I’m powerless, speechless, miserable.
Voices within and around call me to curse you, Lord!

They taunt me with your unfairness. Their words are like swords piercing the heart as they belittle your goodness and grace.
My tears burn as they fall. Weariness overwhelms.

Aftershocks batter my spiritual life. O God, unbelief is trying to undermine trust in your love and holiness.
I feel as though I am drowning in the deluge.
I cannot hold onto you.
Lord, don’t let me go.
In my numbness I feel you not. Your word is all I can take hope in.

Silence my lips from making rash comments about you or life’s circumstances.
Wipe the mist from my eyes.
I need to see beyond the moment and behold your faithfulness and purposes.

As the hurricane spends itself across my life, let it not smash me to the ground. Be the strength of my being. Let me stand true to you, surrounded though I be by broken dreams, unanswered questions, uncertainty of action.
From my quivering lips and burdened mind may I truthfully share to any who will listen, “God is Good. His mercy endures forever!”
I understand not that which has come to pass.
What I know and by an effort of my will I seek to do.
I bow before You and seek to honour You in and through it all.

The hurricanes that surrounded me all those years ago have now calmed. There may be more ahead but now I am even more certain of the Lord who loves me and can say with even more certainty:

Great is Your faithfulness!”

Ray (still sheltering in God’s high tower) Hawkins.

©R.N.Hawkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.