Monday 22 August 2011

In the Gymnasium... of Life?


Our daughter has learnt to walk

Our daughter matures








Each Monday I go to the gym. Why? Because my grand-children need a lift! As they do their warm up and stretches before undertaking their routines I sit and watch. I’m the spectator. In many ways I’d like to be capable of doing something similar. Ah, I remember when I was young and then over the years our lovely daughter grew to be a beautiful woman!


Grandsons like the Larry Boy videos teaching Biblical truths
 
They also grew to play soccer - and go to the gym!
 The Scriptures invite us to be involved in a spiritual gymnasium geared to developing our fitness to witness and run the race God has set before us. My grandchildren are young. Each division has its own requirements. The younger age groups do that which is suitable for them. As they mature so they will graduate to more difficult stages.
That is also the Biblical principle for our spiritual fitness and testimony. God doesn’t demand of us what he does the spiritually young. He requires different from the more mature. However God doesn’t expect us to remain in the kindergarten arena of the Gym. We are to graduate to the best of our faithfulness and rise up through the ranks to be the very best in our senior years - not merely of years but of spiritual maturity.

I am delighted to have been able to watch our children grow from babies to maturity both physically and, thank God, spiritually too. Now I sit and watch my grandchildren at the gym or on the sports field and enjoy it. However I want to set the pace in the spiritual gymnasium for them to aspire to reach by God’s grace and their faithfulness. I would be so thrilled if in coming years they surpassed me in this realm. I will even help them to achieve it and count it a privilege.
Bye for now. I’m off to the gym – both types!
       1Cor 9:27 reminds me:
I discipline my body and brinbg it into subjection, lest when I have preached to others I myself should become disqualified.

Ray.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.