Monday 18 July 2011

Ray on Monday: Be Careful What You Spray

Ray gardening - or trying to!
I think I’m in trouble. No! I know I’m in trouble.
I really didn’t plan for it to happen. I really did appreciate it and where it was. But something went wrong.

I was spraying the weeds along the fence and certain spots in a not very immaculate lawn. I did read the instructions and I didn’t put as much in as they said would kill shrubs or at least I didn’t think I did. I wasn’t unduly alarmed when my spray splattered around the base of Mary’s favourite shrub. It was strong, young and blooming well.

It did take a little longer than the weeds and grass to go brown, but it did go that way. Not completely, but mostly. If it doesn’t rejuvenate I’m up for another and bigger one. I also have to promise not to spray near it – or else!!!

As I was planning this blog it occurred to me about how careful we must be about the words we spray around, verbally and in print. Words have the capacity to bless or bruise, crush or comfort, delight or destroy. Sometimes, in the tiredness of stress and strain something in our soul injects poison into our sentences and we spew them out carelessly. Once out it is very difficult to prevent some ‘browning’ off of the green, fresh relationship we desired. Nor is it as easy to simply go out and buy a replacement.


Psalm 141:3 “Set a guard over my mouth, O Lord; keep watch over the door of my lips” remains good advice.

Maybe we could adapt it a little for our computer age:


“Keep me alert O Lord to my transmission of words and please control my soul as it expresses itself through my fingers!”

May what we spray not lead others astray and ‘brown them off’ about God and His glory.

Let us spray!
Ray

2 comments:

  1. A great analogy Ray! I love what James has to say about words in the Bible as well. I think our words are far more powerful than we ever give them credit for, that's why I always try to keep it positive. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to include a photo of that dying shrub but hope you enjoy "the gardener". Then I found the photo of the flower collage my daughter sent me once. It spoke to me of the beauty that God can create when we listen to Him and learn to use the words HE wants us to write.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.